Thursday, October 28, 2010

Life's Pain Filled Lessons

I wish I'd been at church to hear the 4th sermon in the 30 Day to Live series. I got a bulletin from Don Don (my granddad) and read the scriptures but I wish I could hear Bro. Kevin explain it! It was about something that EVERY SINGLE PERSON EVER has dealt with. Pain. Just pain and hurt and sorrow.

In 2 Corinthians 11 Paul explains all the things he's dealt with as an apostle: beatings, prison, shipwrecks, hunger, betrayal. A whole paragraph of nothing but all his sufferings. And it sounds awful! He goes on to say in chapter 12 of the same book that he pleaded with the Lord to take away his troubles. But God said to him "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness". Paul goes on and says "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities. For when I am weak, the I am strong."

This struck me. I'm going through something very personal right now. Something very painful. I'm hurting. I feel emotionally drained and very sad and sometimes feel hopeless. But I have to remember that it's not hopeless. God hears my prayers and sees my tears (like the ones I'm crying now). And He listens. I have to be strong through Christ. Oh how I wish I'd been at church Sunday.


Pain is temporary. It is a sign that this earth is temporary and that we are not home yet. To paraphrase Romans 8 says that what we suffer through now is nothing compared to the glory God will give us later. "All creation anticipates the day when it will join God's children in glorious freedom from death and decay." Jesus makes it clear that on earth we will suffer many "trials and sorrows". BUT the silver lining is that he is preparing a place for us where "he will remove ALL of their sorrows, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. For the former world and it's evils are gone forever". Can you even begin to imagine not feeling any negative emotion? Living as if you've never been hurt in any way shape or form? I can't. But that's what's awaiting us in heaven!!


Pain is an opportunity to grow closer to God. In our pain we realize how much we need Him. I know I've seen it. God says "My power works best in your weakness."

Father, I'm weak. I NEED You. Help me to put all of my faith in You. I will Praise You through the pain.
Amen.



"I was sure by now, that you would have reached down
And wiped our tears away. Stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say Amen and it's still raining.
And as the thunder rolls, I barely hear you whisper through the rain,
'I'm with you'.
And as your mercy falls, I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
and takes away.


And I will praise you in this storm and I will lift my hands
For You are who You are no matter where I am.
And every tear I cry, You hold in Your hand.
You never left my side. And though my heart is torn,
I will praise You in this storm."

4 comments:

  1. Through it all, God is good. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Alyssa. Life definately is rough sometimes..and trials are hard to handle..but Praise God we don't have to go thru it alone! Hold onto Him and you'll never go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you Alyssa and sending prayers for strength your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama loves you so very much! You know you made me cry when I read this. God is going to help you through this to make the right decision for you. Me and Daddy are here to help you always and whatever you decide we will support you. I love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover