Sunday, October 10, 2010

Love with Purpose

Happy Sunday! Another great week of the One Month to Live Challenge at church. Last night our beloved Tide lost for the first time this season so we're no longer #1 in the nation. The pracher is also an avid. He started off the morning saying, "Even when football teams lose, Jesus is still Lord!" It is after all, (sigh) just a game.

This week was about love. Loving with purpose. Throughout the Bible there's a constant theme:love. In particular Jesus' love for us and his disciples. In John 13, Jesus didn't just think he might die. He KNEW he would die in mere hours. He spent that time with his dearest friends and he washed their feet. The preacher pointed out that washing loved one's feet is not on most of our "bucket lists". But Jesus demonstrated His love through service.

If you were asked what you would do with your last 30 days, you might say "spend more time with my family". Did you know that only 10% of families eat at least one meal together a week? My favorite time of the day is meal time! We sit around the table and just talk. Deep your relationships with the ones you love. Just like you're not garunteed tomorrow, neither are they. Show the you love them! Sacrifice your time for them! Jesus demonstrated the ultimate love and the ultimate sacrifice when he was willing to die on a cross. John 15:13 says "The greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends".

The last thing he talked about, which I hate admit I felt like was directed right at me, was forgiveness. Some of Jesus' last words on the cross were "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do". He was asking forgiveness for the people who were killing him! And I can't even forgive someone for talking smack about me years ago! Are our grudges really necessary? No! The preacher described grudges like poison. Poison that you take and hope it kills the other person. This is something I'm struggling with. I've forgiven every other person that's hurt me...save for one. I HAVE to forgive her. REALLY forgive her. And even pray for her. This is going to be tough.

This turned out to be a much longer post then I anticipated. But do you see the theme? It's all about love, people! Love for God, others and ourselves.


Love and more love,
Alyssa

1 comment:

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover