Friday, May 18, 2012

Peaceful One

Wednesday night, May 16th, at 8:40 pm, I had the honor of being in the room when my precious Maw took her last breath and went to be with Jesus.  We got the call shortly after 8 o'clock and when we arrived at her house we knew she only had minutes left.  My parents, sister and her boyfriend, my aunts, and other grandparents were there.  It was hard to watch but I just couldn't leave the room. I couldn't leave her.   I kissed her hand and stood at the foot of the bed.  Her breathing got slower and then there was nothing.  No movement.  Just peace.  
It might sound weird but I'm so glad I was there.  It was a moment I'll never forget.
More family started filing in and with each person I hugged I just cried a little more.  Maw had pictures on every surface of the house and on one cabinet was a frame with her name (Irene) on it and the meaning of the name and a scripture.  I had never given that frame a second glance.  I took notice of it then and it said "Irene: Peaceful One".  Perfect.  
I mentioned a couple of months ago that my dad told me something about her that struck me to the core and that I might share later.  
Some time in January (I believe) when she really started to decline, she was in her room alone.  One of my dad's sisters was there taking care of her.  She heard Maw talking out loud.  That wasn't that unusual because Maw prayed openly often.  Then she heard a second voice.  A man's voice.  Maw was having a conversation with someone in her room.  Daddy told me that and I just sobbed.  It reminded me of the scene in The Sixth Sense when Haley Joel Osment tells his mother he's been visited by his dead grandmother and the mom accepts it as complete truth.  It's so wild and unbelievable...but you believe it.  Without question.  My aunt didn't know who the voice belonged to.  But it gave me such a peace knowing that she was being comforted by some Divine presence.  Maybe it was Poppy (who left us 21 years ago this Sunday) or an angel, or maybe it was Jesus himself.  Who knows.  I just hope when my time comes, the Lord thinks enough of me to send me comfort from Heaven.
After the service today, which was beautiful, we all went back to her house to eat.  I wore a long strand of pearls that had been hers that she'd given me years ago.  I can't tell you how strange it was to be in the house without her.  Every little thing I looked at brought back some memory.  The wax fruit basket on top of the fridge with a little fake spider on the pear.  The "gold -dipped" rose that fascinated me when I was little.  The microwave that is older than me.  The way she put tin foil over open coke cans in the fridge to keep them from going flat.  The smell of her Jergens lotion.  It broke my heart when we drove away and she wasn't at the front door waving us off.  
I loved her so much.  Everyone that met her loved her.  She was the most loving, gentle, patient human being I've ever met.  If she was in your life at all, you were better for it.
My heart hurts but at the same time it's rejoicing knowing that now she's perfect and beautiful and cancer free.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. Your post was a beautiful tribute to her..she would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw hon, I'm so very sorry for your loss. My grandma's pretty sick right now & the last thing I want is for her to be in anymore pain. I can relate to you being sad that she's gone but happy that's in a better place.

    Love this heartfelt post, thanks for sharing with us. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover