Saturday, November 17, 2012

Giving Blood: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I said this morning in my post that today was going to be a girl's day with Kaylen: Breaking Dawn 2, coffee and shopping.  I made it to 1 out of 3.
When we got to the theater we saw that they had a blood drive bus set up in the parking lot.  I figured I've been sticked and pricked so many times in the last month I'm a pro at it by now and would do a good deed and donate my Type O blood for the first time.
But movie first.
Holy Mother of Pearl.  What a twist.  Mind. Blown.  If you're a fan of the saga, you'll be losing it in the end too, and most likely crying while doing so.
Anyway, after the totally awesome, incredible, mind-blowing movie, we went into the bus to give blood.  We had no idea what to expect since we'd never donated before.  We were asked for IDs and handed a questionnaire with a bunch of really specific questions.  
Have you had a tattoo or piercing in the last 12 months?  Have you had a blood transfusion in the United Kingdom?  Have you had sex with a male that has had sex with another male?  Were you a service member or a military dependent between 1965 and 1983?
They took my height, weight and pricked my finger to determine my blood type.  At this stage of the game Kaylen is disqualified because she doesn't weigh enough.  Turns out that was a good thing.  The nice nurse set me up on the little bed thing and got me started.  The needle was HUGE.  Much bigger than at the doctor.  I almost backed out.  I actually said "SH*T that's a big needle!"  She got the blood flowing and I was ok.  It took maybe 15-20 minutes to get all they needed.  I felt PERFECT.  Felt like I could still go shopping.  Shoot, I felt like I could climb a mountain.  The nurse took the needle out and I said I would take an orange juice with me...just in case.  I thanked her and walked out with Kaylen.  I felt a little woozy.  No big deal.  We got in the car and I drank some juice.  Things went downhill from there.  It went something like this:
Kaylen, maybe we should just go home.
Kaylen, let's just sit in the car for a minute.
Kaylen, maybe you should get the nurse.
Kaylen, GO GET THE NURSE.
I knew what was about to happen.  The nurse came to the car and opened my door and said "Not feeling so good are you, sweetie?  Can you walk with me back to the bus?"   I got out and collapsed on the ground.  Kaylen said I stood back up with her help, which I don't remember and then went limp in the two nurse's arms.  Lights Out.  Apparently I was hauled into the bus by my arms and legs with Kaylen holding my head.  I was already coming back when they stuffed my shirt with ice packs and asked me to chug as much of a Pepsi as I could.  After another 20-30 minutes of laying there like a slug Kaylen took me home after I was feeling well enough to walk to the car.  I was so embarrassed. 
It's amazing to me.  Kaylen is 6 years younger than me and sometimes she plays the part of the big sister.  I'm so thankful for a sister that keeps her cool when I'm coming unraveled.
So here I am laying in bed feeling kinda crappy.  Going to try the coffee and shopping again tomorrow.
And I'm never giving blood again.  Next time I feel like doing something noble I'll just write a check.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! Glad u are ok..and I agree w/ya..writing a check is just as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about your blood-donating experience! If you do donate again, I hope your next experience is a million times better! :)

    XO,
    SWEATshirt DRESSshirt
    http://sweatshirtdressshirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover