Saturday, January 26, 2013

Saying "No"...And Not "I'm Sorry".

Skreened
 Is it a chick thing that we always feel the need to apologize to everyone all the time?  Even if we're not sorry because we didn't do anything to be sorry for, we are constantly saying "I'm sorry" and apologizing for crap.  
I've tried really hard to break myself of the habit of saying it for one good reason:
I'm not really sorry in the situation and I shouldn't be!
In a work environment we might ask someone (maybe someone higher on the totem pole than us, maybe not) a question and then walk away saying "sorry".  Why?  Because we bothered someone for 10 seconds to ask a question that we genuinely needed to know the answer to in order to do our job right?
You shouldn't be sorry for that.
This leads me to another point.  Sometimes it's ok to say "NO" and not give an explanation as to why and NOT be sorry for it.  If someone puts you on the spot and asks for a favor that you really have no desire to do for whatever reason, it's ok to say "I'm not going to be able to do that".  And a million excuses (real or fake) as to why not aren't necessary.
I don't have time...I have to work late...My cat has to have his tonsils out...whatever.
 Maybe you've been super busy all week and the day she asks the favor is the only day you have to sit in your pajamas and watch Netflix.  All the favor-asker needs to know is you're not going to.
You shouldn't be sorry for that.
Let me clarify: I'm not saying NEVER apologize for ANYTHING EVER.  If you hit an old lady with your car in the parking lot at Wal-Mart, please apologize.  Call 911 first, but at some point tell her (or her next of kin) that you're sorry.  Don't say you're not because some awesome blogger told you not to be.

Just some thoughts to ponder this weekend.  =)
This weekend is going to be a big one for us.  I've got to get off the bed, get a shower and get ready to empty our storage unit and move the rest of our earthly possessions into the house!  Very exciting.  Last night while going through some boxes, I found a bag of our magnets.  I put them on the fridge so I guess you could say they were our first pieces of decor in the new home. 

Everyone have an exciting (or relaxing) weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Amen. I'm apparently really bad about this. I need to get a handle on it.

    Sorry for the comment.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been told I'm really guilty about this - thanks for the reminder that I don't have to be sorry for something I'm not really sorry about!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover