Friday, January 18, 2013

That Time it Got Really Cold in Alabama

It's been an interesting couple of days.  And by interesting I mean painful and at times terrifying.  

Winter has officially come to the deep south.  Wednesday night I was leaving Chris' parent's house and slipped on some ice on their wooden front porch steps.  Two to four steps from the bottom my feet went out from under me and I landed, quite hard I might add on my tailbone and back.  I slid the rest of the way til I ended up on the sidewalk.  It was the kind of pain that knocks the wind out of you and temporarily stuns you til you realize you can in fact still feel feelings and you're not paralyzed or dying.  I screamed for Chris twice (don't know how I didn't wake up the whole dang neighborhood) and just rolled over in the grass.  Chris came running outside and found me at the bottom of the steps moaning (pitifully, I'm sure).  I just lay there like a slug for a few minutes until I got my breath back.  Two days later I have lovely bruises on my tailbone, back and forearm and it just aches all over.  You better believe last night while going down the same steps I never had less than three points of contact at all times.  Clumsy and ice just don't mix.

Yesterday the forecast said we would get a few flurries and some "accumulation on grassy areas".  We had fun watching it at work for a little while!  This was me at 12:30:
 An hour later it wasn't so fun anymore.  By 1 o'clock the snow was really falling hard and "accumulating" EVERYWHERE.  We live in ALABAMA.  Naturally we panic.  Everyone started to leave work at the same time for fear of being snowed in at work.  I tried driving and didn't even make it out of the parking lot.  Luckily Dad was at work with me in his truck.  I figured if anybody could drive in this, it was him.  I left Rosie (my car) at work and we started the journey home.  Pulling out of the parking lot his tires were just spinning and we were sliding all over the place.  I was absolutely terrified we were going to go off the road and into a ditch.  A 4 minute drive turned into 30 and the only reason it was that quick was because a good Samaritan with a 4-wheel drive and a chain pulled us up the hill we were stuck on.  By the time we got home my nerves were absolutely shot.  

I've decided next time I see anything that remotely resembles a "flurry" I'm taking my happy butt and staying there.  Our friend, Matt posted this on facebook yesterday and it's perfect.  We southerners are just not built for this!

Everyone have a safe and warm weekend!

6 comments:

  1. That picture is hilarious and perfect! I'm pretty sure it snowed every where except Montgomery. :( Oh well! I'm sorry about your fall. Also, I wonder if Alabama is the only state that closes schools over flurries. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the same way here! Bread and milk FLY off the shelves...schools close...mass hysteria!

    I hope your tailbone feels better! I cracked (I think) mine once. YOWZA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch!! Hope your doing better after that fall! I love snow..but as long as I can stay home and not travel in it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I want to be a southerner. Because I hate snow--especially driving in it, where I live, they never cancel anything for the sake of snow! I'm ready for summer again!
    Sorry about that fall on the ice! That's nasty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! I can, quite literally, fell your pain. I'm a total klutz and if there's a patch of ice somewhere, I will find it and slip on it. Usually in front of tons of other people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness I know Us southerns can't handle the snow. Sorry about you slipping. It is no fun.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover