Sunday, April 14, 2013

Consider This - Fake Bakin'

-Tanning beds were recently declared carcinogenic,,meaning they cause skin cancer. 
 
-Just 1 indoor tanning session increases users’ chances of developing melanoma (the deadliest form of skin cancer) by 20 percent, and each additional session during the same year boosts the risk almost another 2 percent.
 
-Frequent tanners using new high-pressure sunlamps may receive as much as 12 times the annual UVA dose compared to the dose they receive from sun exposure.
 
-Among people ages 18 to 29 who have ever used a tanning bed and were diagnosed with melanoma, 76 percent of those melanoma cases were attributable to tanning bed use.

-Melanoma is the leading cause of cancer death in women 25 to 30-years old.

-One person dies of melanoma every hour.


Not preaching or jumping on a soapbox here.  Just giving you some facts and asking a question:
Is that "healthy glow" worth it?

[Statistics from Cosmopolitan's Practise Safe Sun campaign, the Skin Cancer Foundation and the CDC.]

post signature

5 comments:

  1. I went earlier this year (I was starting to feel depressed in the dreary winter) and I felt SO guilty about it. I paid for 3 months and only went a handful of times... I'm so mad at myself and I will never go again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never gone to a tanning bed in my life, and even on the beach I prefer to be covered up. I've seen far too many not-that-old people whose skin looks like leather due to tanning, and I would just prefer to be pale my whole life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is SO not worth it!!! My mom just recently had a squamous cell carcinoma removed from her face and has to undergo pin point radiation. And she's never used a tanning bed in her life! A friend of mine only ever wears SPF 4, she's going to look like a handbag in a few years! And we are only 31!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. those statistics are insane. and it's just getting worse and worse. i can't believe people think it's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I get an AMEN! I rarely even use self tanner any more--I've embraced my paleness. Now whenever I read fitness or beauty mags and see girls who obviously use a tanning bed, I cringe. They might look so fit and fab now but they're going to look terrible in their forties!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover