Sunday, July 7, 2013

Give Me Home

As much as I love vacationing, it's always a good feeling being back home.  I think the cats are still mad we left in the first place.

I've never seen so much rain packed into one trip.  We had one really great, sunny day Tuesday.  The following 48 hours were a complete washout.  Friday, our last day there, the rain broke for a few hours and I soaked up every minute of it.  I'd like to point out that I almost went an entire beach trip without a sunburn.  I lathered sunscreen everywhere except my back.  Lovely.  The 4th of July fireworks were that night since they had to be cancelled Thursday.  They were on a pier and it was my first time seeing them over the water.  Absolutely gorgeous. 

The beach is so relaxing and I could sit on the balcony for hours just watching the tide.  But I'd still pick H-Town, Alabama any day of the week.

Some of my favorite times consist of sitting on my parent's front porch with my family around sunset just shooting the crap (so to speak).
 
Last Friday night Chris went to the local comedy club's open mic night (not my thing) and I stayed home with the kitties.  Mom called and said a storm was a'brewin (she didn't say it like that, but it sounds more ominous) and that I could make my way over their house so I wouldn't be alone.   We live just over walking distance from my childhood home.

The weather never really did anything in our neck of the woods but the sky looked amazing.

Photo from the facebook of our local weatherman/celebrity/storm whisperer, James Spann.
Don Don, Nana, Daddy and I sat in the front porch swing and rocking chairs just watching the clouds change.  The sun was setting and it cast an odd yellow tint over everything.  It was so quiet and the wind was barely blowing.  Very eerie.

Dad said it reminded him of the scene from Twister right before everything goes to hell in a hand basket.  Dad is always comforting.

I said the clouds looked like fish scales.  After a minute Don Don just goes "...marshmallows on top of a sweet potato casserole..."  Haha.  You see where his mind is at.

Nights like that are better than any beach, mountain retreat or (I can't believe I'm saying this) Disney trip.  Just give me home.

post signature
 

3 comments:

  1. H-town = Huntsville? I'm a Birmingham gal, myself. And it has definitely been a wet week! I sure hope it dries up soon. I haven't checked with the "storm whisperer" (haha!) lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something SO wonderful about relaxing at home after being away on vacation. :) Found your blog through the collective hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo wasn't even necessary because you describe the scenes so well. I had the impression I was there with you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover