Thursday, August 1, 2013

Things They Should Have Taught in High School

Chris and I have had many a discussion over this subject because we think in certain aspects (one in particular) high school failed us.  They can teach us the table of elements, who shot Franz Ferdinand (not the band), and the square root of pie until they're blue in the face.  You know what?  I haven't needed to know any of those things once since I got out of high school 7 years ago.  That's a scary thought.  There are a few things they skipped over that would definitely come in handy in the real world.

 photo Things-They-Should-Have-Taught-in-High-School_zps1a695958.png

-How hard it is to fix bad credit.  Seriously.  This is one thing we learned the hard way when we had to put off buying a house and lost out on the first one we fell in love with.  When we started the house hunting process I had ZERO credit and Chris had terrible credit from bad decisions he made as an 18 year old PFC in the Marine Corps with money for the first time.  It took months to get it up to something we could get a loan with.  If I remember correctly in a business class I took as a freshman they just said "pay your bills and keep your credit up".  How very helpful. 

-NOT to refreeze thawed chicken.  I did this and almost cooked it, served it and subjected Chris and I to food poisoning and what would surely be a slow and painful death.  I had food poisoning from some poorly cooked chicken at Chili's a couple of years ago and I will NOT let that happen again.  I thought I was going to die in a fetal position in my bedroom floor.  Teachers, warn your children about the dangers of poultry.

-How to dress for interviews.  Did you know that when going on a job interview in a professional office environment you're supposed to wear hose and kitten heels?  Me neither.

-How NOT to get pregnant.  This doesn't apply to me but it's definitely something they skip in good ole' H-town.  They're basically told just not to do it because they'll get pregnant and die.  I'm very much against abstinence only "sex education".  Be realistic.  A lot of teenagers (not all but a lot) are going to have sex and saying "just don't" doesn't keep little girls from becoming mothers.

-Any of these words and they're meanings: equity, budget, APR, deductible, interest, 401K, and escrow.

-Basic Self-Defense.  Why they don't require this as part of gym class is beyond me.  Some people prefer to believe that we live in a world where teaching kids how to fight off would be attackers/kidnappers/rapists isn't necessary...but it is.  If you're feeling vulnerable because you don't know how to throw down, just watch Miss Congeniality and always remember...to S.I.N.G.
things they should have taught in high school

Well?  Am I missing anything?  What are some things you with YOU had learned in high school?
Have a great weekend, yall.

post signature

7 comments:

  1. Haha you are totally right! I learned things in high school but they aren't useful today! Especially the self defense, this world is a scary place and I wish we would have got a boxing class instead of art! How cool would that be!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post! Although, I'm a huge NERD and the Period Table of Elements is one of my best friends. Yes, I love chemistry.

    I too struggled with shitty credit until in my early 20's. It wasn't until a few years ago that it was all finally straightened out. I also agree about teaching "safe sex" as opposed to "no sex" in schools. Let's be real. You tell someone not to do it, they are gonna do it. I'm not knocking where anyone went to school, but my friends who went to Catholic "sex free is the way to be" high schools are the one who found themselves pregnant in college.

    The interview thing... That's something I'm extremely old fashioned about. Since applying for externships in college, I've always worn pant suits and jackets. I'm appalled by what I see some women wearing on interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I breifly remember taking like a week of auto-shop in Grade 9, but it would have been nice if they taught us a little more about car maintenance. And preferably when we were 16 or 17, not 13 and 14 and unable to drive...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This list is fantastic! I love it.

    I went to an all-girls private school and surprisingly we learned self defense in gym class. I also learned how to change the oil in my car and change a tire (although I wouldn't remember who to do it now)

    Deana
    TesoriBelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gawd YES! Schools need to get rid of those bullshit home-ec classes and teach kids about the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post! I've always wanted to learn self defense! New follower from the Monday Mingling Blog Hop. If you get a chance, stop on over and say hi!

    www.gildedsunflower.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome post! Makes me want to start a list of all the things that I want to teach my own son that he'll never learn in school so I can make sure he knows the things he really needs to know!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover