Friday, June 20, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars....and Free Donuts

I told you Friday night the sister and I went to see The Fault in Our Stars. Have you heard of it?
Of course you have. You’ve probably heard about how sad it is, how it’s about kids with cancer, or how it’s taking the place of The Notebook as the most romantic and tragic movie of all time. Ever. Yes. To all of the above.

We went to the Friday night 6:45 showing prepared. Since the movie time completely ran through supper time we decided to hit the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru for some sandwiches that we could sneak in my purse. Don’t judge me. A hotdog would’ve probably been nine freakin bucks. Ain’t nobody got time for that. (Is that joke over now?) We ordered two chicken salad sandwiches, my favorite and really good for coming from a donut place. The man through the drive-thru speaker said “well we only have one croissant left but I can put one on texas toast if you like”. I turned to Kaylen and asked nicely if I could have very forcefully told her that I would be getting the croissant and told the man that texas toast would be fine for one. No big deal. We get to the window and he apologized about the croissant and said to make up for it he would hook us up with two free donuts. This man is an angel. God bless you, giver of free donuts. This presents a problem. My already full purse now has to smuggle two sandwiches and two squishable donuts. I started throwing junk out of my purse like it was cool. Hair clippies, receipts, glass cases and gum packs that haven’t seen the light of day in months went flying through my car. Anything for donuts.

At the movies with the contraband in tow, Kaylen bought us coke icees since I supplied the tickets. We don’t mind paying out the wazoo for those.

I should also mention we went by Target beforehand to buy a box of tissues, you know, because the movie is sad.

We ate our sandwiches and donuts (slightly flat but who cares) without getting kicked out and got ready for the tears that were surely to come.

The Fault in Our Stars was everything I hoped it would be. It followed the book very closely, which always makes me happy. It was perfectly casted and I really loved Laura Dern as Hazel’s mother. She is one of the saddest characters to me. In the narration Hazel says something along the lines of “the only thing worse than biting it from cancer is having a kid bite it from cancer”. That line along with a pretty intense flashback scene that made me cry while reading the book pretty much explains her character. The most amazing scene in the whole movie for me was the Anne Frank house scene. If you’ve read the book and know what I’m talking about, the way they translated it to film was genius and very moving. I was so proud of myself. My eyes welled up a few times but I never actually cried until close to the end. After one particularly sad scene there was no stopping the water works. All I could think about was losing Chris. Kaylen and I looked like a couple of hot messes when we left the theater and when Chris called on the way out to ask how it was I cried all over again. It was amazing to watch but I honestly don't know if I could watch it again. This movie punches you in the gut and makes you so happy to be alive.

TFIOS, the fault in our stars, books, augustus, hazel

So go see it, even if it's just once.
Okay? Okay.

post signature

5 comments:

  1. I actually didn't read this bc I was afraid of spoilers. LOL. But just wanted to say hi, I know Ive been blog silent, but I'm thinking of you! <3 Happy weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both the book and the movie :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to sneak food in to the movie to but my husband won't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from the link up! I seriously had no idea that Dunkin Donuts has chicken salad sandwiches, and honestly I'm not sure how I feel about that...but at least you got free donuts! I loved the book and I'm hoping I will get to see the movie soon. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you snuck in sandwiches! I've smuggled in candy, trail mix & gatorade but never a sandwich! Impressive!!!! Also, the re-write really makes that book a little easier on the soul. I haven't found enough strength to go see the movie yet but the book wrecked me!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover