Monday, October 27, 2014

A Letter To My 16 Year Old Self


Dear 16 Year Old Alyssa,

I’m your future, 26 year old, married, pregnant self. Yep. Ten years from now you’ll be married to that guy you’re crazy about, you’ll own a home you both worked hard for and congrats! You’ll be pregnant with your first baby! Oh and you’ll finally have those cats you always wanted. Life gets pretty peachy for you.

Of course you WILL have the “peaks and valleys” that everyone talks about. The highs and lows. Your highs are VERY high. Some of the most exciting, memorable moments of your life are coming up. You’ll sob tears of joy and walk on many a cloud. I’m playing a slideshow in my mind of some of your best moments (and I’ll keep them to myself because I don’t want to ruin it for you).

…But don’t start celebrating just yet. You’re a lot stronger than you think are. You’ll find this out when you don’t have a choice, girlfriend. Bottle up any of that leftover strength because your lows get pretty low. They’ll get so low they’ll nearly incapacitate you and you’ll feel pain in ways you never imagined. I won’t lie to you. For a while it gets really rough and you’ll think there’s no end to this sad little parade.

But take faith and have hope because tomorrow will be kinder! It gets better. It gets sooo much better. You’ll be happy to the point of disbelief and you’ll pray that God never takes this life from you. You are so loved and you’ll love so deeply it frightens you. You won’t just be happy. You’ll be full of joy.

Like I said, I don’t want to spoil anything for you, so I’ll just leave you with a few tidbits of knowledge:
Learn to be observant and read between the lines when it comes to people you know. Not everything is black and white.
Kaylen is annoying now, but she gets a lot cooler.
Sparkly, red, strapless dresses are not to be worn to church.
SAVE YOUR MONEY! SAVE! SAVE! SAAAAVE!
Ask Maw lots and lots of question. You’ll want to know every little thing about her later.
Stop being so jealous. The guy really digs you because he’s still around ten years from now even though sometimes you don’t deserve it.
Stop and savor as many moments as you can. Time gets faster every year you get older.

Be good.

Love,
26 Year Old Alyssa

Helene in Between Blogtober

post signature

7 comments:

  1. Such a great post! I would definitely tell myself to save as well! Really wish I did that more haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your last tidbits of advice to keep in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! Love the point about the peaks and valleys...I feel like you don't recognize the peaks and valleys as you are going through them, just afterwards when you look back. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I love the part where you say "you'll be full of joy!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, 10 years ago, that's crazy to think about! What a heartfelt letter, love the tips about SAVING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, do you age??? You look exactly the same from that picture. A great letter, Iove that you note how jealous you were... I was the sme exact way!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover