Monday, December 8, 2014

Christmas Kid

I just happened to glance at my stats on blogger and noticed that my last post marked my 600th published post! Whoa. Just wanted to throw that out there.

It’s December. I know. Shocker, Alyssa. My favorite month. I, like my old man, am a Christmas junkie. I love it. Love everything about it. The lights, the colors, the music, the movies, the togetherness of it all. Not to even mention the reason for celebration to begin with. I love this month so much it flies by quicker than any other so I always try to savor it. This Christmas in particular is one I want to hold on to for as long as possible.
This is my last Christmas where I get to be a kid. I know, I know. I’m 26 (27 later this month) and I’m not really a kid anyway. But my parents have always done Christmas big. They always did everything they could to make Christmas magical for Kaylen and I and still now spoil us more than we deserve on the 25th. Christmas to me is at Mom and Dad’s house, sitting in the living room tinkering with our new things, drinking hot chocolate, eating ham, and watching A Christmas Story on repeat. I told Chris that this year I want to spend as much time there as possible Christmas day just soaking it all up because next year it will be completely different.  This is the last year where I can sit back and let Christmas happen around me.
Next year I will be a PARENT to an almost one year old baby boy. It will be MY job to make Christmas magical. Cooper will open gifts (as best he can) in OUR living room floor. We’ll introduce him to some of our traditions and make some new ones.

-One of my favorite traditions is the yearly town Christmas parade. We won’t be able to partake this year since this is the one day we’re actually traveling to see family (only about two and a half hours one way). But I’ve loved this since I was a kid and have even been in it a few times with school and the church we attended forever!
Say hello to the senior class' 2nd Alternate on Homecoming Court.  =)
-Christmas is not Christmas without Dad handing out the gifts that morning. NO ONE else can do it. He empties the tree skirt and then we all open at the same time. Kaylen always rips into hers while I like to take my time and make them last! It makes me feel all warm inside thinking about Chris on his hands and knees under the tree at our house handing CT his gifts from “Santa”.

-The church I attended since infancy used to do a yearly Christmas Eve service with the telling of the Christmas story and hymns and at the end everyone in the sanctuary would light a candle and sing Silent Night. I looked forward to it each year partly because I just enjoyed it and partly because each year immediately following the service we had our big family get together at my grandparent’s house. My family attends a different church now and luckily they put on a spectacular Christmas service. It’s not Christmas Eve but it’s just as well. AND there’s even candles and Silent Night at the end.

What are some of your favorite holiday traditions?

post signature

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!!! It's definitely my favorite holiday as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover