Monday, June 15, 2015

Movies to Watch When You Need a Good Cry


I love a movie that can make me emotional; that can make me feel something and even make me weep. Sometimes it’s good to get in touch with your emotional side, sit on the couch with pizza and box of tissues and have a good cry. These movies make me feel all the feels there are to feel. Watch at your own risk.
[HERE BE SPOILERS!]

Ladder 49. It strikes a chord with me to begin with because my dad is a firefighter.
Get The Tissues Moment: After following his entire firefighting career, Joaquin Phoenix dies alone in a fire and his captain, John Travolta, eulogizing him and his casket is driven on top of a firetruck in a firefighter’s funeral. Kill me now.

A Little Princess. I think this movie scarred any little girl that saw it and at the same time made her love her daddy that much more.
Get the Tissues Moment: Little Sarah has been told her father was KIA and must live in the attic of her boarding school as basically a slave girl. Her first night upstairs, she draws a circle on the floor to sleep in for protection, holds on to her doll, and cries for her Papa. And now I’m crying.

Steel Magnolias. Can I get an amen on this one? I love this movie and all the women in it. The quintessential chick flick.
Get The Tissues Moment: After her only daughter’s funeral Sally Field has an epic grief fueled meltdown at the cemetery that makes me weep right along with her.

My Sister's Keeper. Any movie about kids with cancer is sure to make you shed a fair share of tears. [I’m not even going to talk about The Fault in Our Stars here.]
Get The Tissues Moment: A scene in which the kid with cancer’s family takes her to the beach and she soaks up the sun one last time while the song “It Feels Like Home to Me” plays. Yeah. It’s like that.

Deep Impact. This comet causing the end of the world movie (better than Armageddon in my opinion) scares the crap out of me and makes me want to hold my family close.
Get The Tissues Moment: Right before a comet that’s set to destroy the east coast hits earth, a mother and father give their infant to their teenage daughter so he can escape with her and live. The daughter knowing her parents probably won't survive, tries to hold out hope and sobs telling them she'll see them soon.

Little Women. This movie always makes me think of Maw because I watched it nearly every time I went to her house. I so wanted to be like Jo. It made me sob then and I only have to think of the music in the saddest scene to sob now.
Get the Tissues Moment: Jo cries over her sister in her bed knowing she’s near death and tells her she won’t let her leave. After Jo goes to the window to close it she comes back to see she’s passed and lies on the bed with her and holds her and strokes her hair. The next morning Hannah places flower petals all over the Beth’s bed, dolls, and piano as soft music plays in the background.

Forest Gump. It’s basically Alabama’s state movie. I’ve seen it more times than I can count but each time I cry like it’s the first time I’ve watched it.
Get The Tissues Moment: There are several but the one that makes me ugly cry is the end when Jenny dies and Forrest is talking to her underneath their tree and telling her how smart their son is. Dang you, Tom Hanks.

Are you depressed yet?
You're welcome.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Add P.S. I Love You to this list...the part that gets me every time is when she calls the house phone just to hear his voice on the answering machine. I definitely agree with Ladder 49 for obvious reasons!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover