Wednesday, August 12, 2015

When the Levees Broke

Lately I’ve been on a documentary kick. I’ve been mostly listening to them at work in my headphones but if something really interests me I’ll go back later and watch it. I was fumbling around on Youtube looking for something to listen to and came across Hurricane Katrina specials from various tv stations. That led me to a documentary directed by Spike Lee called “When The Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts”.
I didn’t know a whole lot about Katrina. Chris and I took a trip to New Orleans with a friend who was a native in 2008, just three years after the storm but I really only got the general idea: category 5 storm, flooded New Orleans, stranded people, Lower 9th Ward, George Bush doesn’t like black people, ect, ect…

When The Levees Broke, Spike Lee, Ducomentary, Hurricane Katrine

I am so glad I watched this film. There are parts that are hard to watch and there are parts that are nothing short of heartbreaking. It’s hard to imagine American citizens going through something like this. Not just the storm itself but the inaction of the government at all levels and the amount of suffering afterward. The images that brought me to tears were those of mothers at the Superdome crying for relief for their babies who were passing out in the sweltering heat and those of people being forced to leave the bodies of their loved ones on the sidewalk to board buses out of the city.

It will make you think twice about anything and everything you heard from the media about the disaster and the people it affected.
There’s not much else to say about it except that it is very moving and if you watch it (and I hope you do especially with the ten year anniversary coming up this month) be prepared for strong language and visuals, understandably.


post signature

1 comment:

  1. I have completely been loving documentaries too! I've been pursuing HBO GO for ones that interest me. HBO always has the best documentaries! I recently watched the comedian Tig Notaro's new documentary about how she dealt with a lot of recent pain in her life and combined it into her comedy shows. I also watched Ballet 422 about the youngest dancer to ever choreographs a new ballet for the New York City Ballet. I was a ballerina ;) I have also been really interested in the story of the lost boys of Sudan and watched that documentary. Such amazing stories. I haven't seen Spike Lee's docu, but it sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover