Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Dear Ms. Mirren

"It annoys me when I see men with an arm slung round their girlfriend's shoulders, It's like ownership. Of course, when you're young, you want the guy to take your hand and look after you. But when I see girls being leaned on, I want to say, 'Tell him to get his damned arm off your shoulder.' "
-Helen Mirren
 Dear Ms. Mirren,

I’m so glad someone finally spoke up about the serious issue of men showing ownership over their women, specifically the act of putting their arms around their shoulders. Many a time when my husband has done this at the mall or on the street I wanted to shove his constrictive arm off of my dainty shoulders but was too afraid to speak out so I was confined to walk by his side in silence. While we’re on the subject, men shouldn’t hold our hands either. Do they think we’re stupid and can’t walk by ourselves without getting lost? Do they think we need their constant guidance? It’s just another example of men trying to assert their superiority and dominance over us. Every time my husband reaches for my hand in public I feel my independence cave in a little bit more. And let’s not even discuss when he kisses me on the forehead in public. He might as well lift his leg and pee on me so everyone can clearly see I belong to him.

Thank you for giving me the courage to speak up and take this passive aggressive abuse no longer. From now on I’ll put my arm around HIS shoulder, I’ll grab HIS hand, and I’ll kiss HIM on the forehead and see how HE likes it.

Most Insincerely Yours,
Alyssa

PS.  I loved you in RED.

[Disclaimer: This was nothing but snark. It's called "affection".]

post signature

1 comment:

  1. I thought that comment was a bit odd. I like when we walk with our arms around each other. It's not ownership.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover