Sunday, October 25, 2015

All the Highs and Lows in One Saturday

Parenting is funny.  Not funny haha but funny weird.  Your kid can send you from the happiest high to the ugliest crying low and doesn't need fifteen minutes to do it.

Saturday the three of us had nothing to do but hang out at home.  Cooper has been saying the usual "da da da da" forever.  Chris loves it.  He eats it up.  After giving Cooper his bath I was getting him dried off and he said "mamamama"!  Clear as a bell!  He hasn't said it since but that's good enough for me.  That was high #1.

At lunch time I got him set up in his high chair with baby food, spoon, huge bib, and extra paper towels.  I started feeding him and he promptly started spitting whole mouth fulls out.  He's been doing this for about a week now.  After about three bites and getting butternut squash everywhere BUT in his mouth I got frustrated, gave up and fed him a bottle.  That was low #1.


After a nap, Cooper and I both got tired of being in the house so I loaded him up in his baby wearer and we went for a walk.  It wasn't sunny outside but it was still pretty.  We walked around taking pictures and went all the way to Mom and Dad's house.  I was pretty tired from toting twenty solid pounds all that way.  Mom and Dad weren't home so we sat in the rocker on the porch listening to music on my Spotify.  He fell asleep and we must have sat there for an hour and a half.  It was so quiet and peaceful and there's nothing like a sleeping baby in your arms to give you warm fuzzies.  That was high #2.


At time for dinner we got him buckled into his high chair again for another try.  A few nights ago, he was dropping his pacy out of his rock n play on purpose and I told him in my best, stern mommy voice "NO".  When that didn't work I popped his hand.  He laughed at me...all three times.  This kid is gong to be just like his dang daddy.  After ONE BITE of whatever the orange stuff was he spit it out and got it on his clothes, his hair, my clothes and my glasses.  I popped his hand again, harder this time.  He stopped and his mouth dropped open.  He looked at me like I had just lost every bit of trust I'd gained in the past nine months and those big, beautiful, blue eyes welled up with tears.  He cried and I folded like a chair.  I grabbed him up and held him and told him Mama was sorry.  His crying didn't last long.  Mine did.  He was more tired than hungry so I got in the bed with him and cried and cried until we both fell asleep.  That was low #2.  Very low.

Sometimes, like on the front porch, I think "Motherhood is awesome!  Why didn't I do this sooner?!  This isn't so hard!"  Then other times I feel like the worst mother in the world because he tries my patience and I get frustrated with him and I feel like I shouldn't because he's the best and most beautiful baby in the world ever born and how dare I get mad at this precious gift from God.

This is just real motherhood.  Every mom has highs and lows even if they don't talk about the lows.  At least that's what I tell myself.

post signature

3 comments:

  1. we all have days like this. Hugs

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your sharing both sides of motherhood. Cooper is so adorable! Hopefully his attitude at the dinner table settles soon.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover