Monday, October 5, 2015

Serena - A Book Review

Goodreads
 Serena by Ron Rash

And the reading slump is over! This is the first book I’ve read in a long time that captivated me and left me eager to get home and in the bed to read some more. I thought I was going to be chomping at the bit to watch the movie afterward but I saw a trailer and I think I’ve changed my mind. I’m not sure I see Jennifer Lawrence as Serena and it looks like they changed the plot so much I’m afraid I’ll be left disappointed.
But let ‘s not put the cart before the horse…

The Good: SO. MUCH. GOOD. The writing is simple and effective without being pretentious, the characters are interesting and the plot keeps moving.  Serena is an intriguing character and you want to keep turning pages to see what she'll say or do next.  She's completely unlikable and she OWNS it.  The author's descriptions make it easy to visualize the rugged setting and the equally rugged supporting characters.  Plus being a Smoky Mountain lover I loved the little reference to places I've actually been to like Cades Cove and Clingmans Dome.
The Bad: The argument could be made that Serena is one-dimensional. But I like the dimension she’s in so I’m not arguing.
Bottom Line: If you haven't figured it out by now, I loved it.  Just a really great novel with memorable characters.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover