Tuesday, March 1, 2016

2016 Academy Awards - My Picks

Before we even get into the fashion trends, hits, and misses, let’s just take a moment to share in the collective joy of Leo finally winning his much deserved and long overdue Oscar.



Now that we got that out of the way…
I was SO NOT disappointed in the fashion choices this year!  After a couple of ho-hum Oscars I was pleasantly surprised with so many great choices.  Fair warning, this might be a long post because there were so many fantastic looks!

Charlize Theron, Brie Larson, Olivia Munn, oscars, academy awards, red carpet
Charlize Theron – She couldn’t be any more gorgeous if she tried.   Beautiful cut and color and let’s not even mention the necklace. // Brie Larson – What an odd one she is.  For a best actress nominee (and eventual winner) I think she could have done better.  I dig the belt but something about the dress looks…cheap.  Like that cobalt blue though! // Olivia Munn – The color is incredible on her and it kind of reminds me of Lupita’s red Calvin Klein but nowhere near as amazing.  It’s just…ok.

saoirse Ronan, Margot Robbie, Rachel McAdams, 2016 oscars, academy awards, red carpet, jewel tones
Saoirse Ronan – This is so different than the soft colors and textures she’s worn this awards season and I loved those looks on her but this is FABULOUS.  Great fit and I like the nod to her home country of Ireland with the color.  Hair and make-up are spot on as well.  Definitely one of the BEST DRESSED of the night! // Margot Robbie – Kudos to her for doing something different!  I’m a sucker for gold and she looks fabulous, of course. // Rachel McAdams – Swoon.  She’s been one of my favorites this award season.  It’s a bit wrinkly in the front but I can forgive her for that.  Great cut and color.

Priyanka Chopra, Lady Gaga, Daisey Ridley, 2016 oscars, academy awards, red carpet, white trend
Priyanka Chopra – Usually, I’d be drooling over this but next to some of the other dresses it’s just pretty, if not a bit bridal. // Lady Gaga – She looks gorgeous but I was a tad disappointed in this.  I think the only reason I don’t hate it is because it’s on Gaga. // Daisy Ridley – I would like this SO much more if the hemline were different.  It’s very pretty but I like my Oscar dresses touching the floor.

sarah silverman, kate winslet, jennifer garnder, red carpet, 2016 oscars, academy awards, black trend
Sarah Silverman - Best I've EVER seen her look.  Gorgeous. // Kate Winslet – Color me disappointed.  I know the girl loves her mono-tone but this is killing me.  So boring and not the most flattering thing she’s ever worn. // Jennifer Garner – I really liked this!  She hasn’t impressed me much on the red carpet but this might be my favorite look from her, at least in a long time.

Cate blanchett, alicia vikander, heidi klum, 2016 oscars, academy awards, red carpet, pastel trend
 Cate Blanchett – I gasped when I saw this.  She’s usually a bit quirky on the red carpet but this is stunning.  The color is amazing and her hair and jewels are perfect for it.  I seriously can’t say enough about this. A BEST DRESSED for sure! // Alicia Vikander – Meh.  The color is great on her but I don’t get the sequins and I HATE the hemline. // Heidi Klum – Yikes.  She always wears something ridiculous.  The only nice thing I can say about this is that I like the color.  Definitely a WORST DRESSED of the evening.

tina fey, naomi watts, reese witherspoon, purple trend, red carpet, 2016 oscars, academy awards
Tina Fey – I’m usually not a fan of hers on the red carpet but I really liked this on her AND the necklace.  I  just wish she’d worn her hair down. // Naomi Watts – I love a woman who swears by sequins.  She’s always Hollywood glamorous.  Love this and the color. // Reese Witherspoon – Meh.  She sticks to what she knows I guess, but this to me is boring.

jennifer lawrence, amy poehler, julianne moore, black trend, red carpet, 2016 oscars, academy awards
Jennifer Lawrence – So not loving this.  I’m glad she didn’t do another boring monotone dress but this just isn’t doing it for me. // Amy Poehler – A “what was she thinking?!” moment and definitely a WORST DRESSED of the evening. // Julianne Moore – ZzzZZzz…  What a snooze fest.  She can do much better.

olivia wilde, rooney mara, sophie turner, red carpet, 2016 oscars, academy awards, white trend
Olivia Wilde – At first I saw it from chest up and thought I just hated the choker…then I saw the rest and hated it too.  A WORST DRESSED for me. // Rooney Mara – Yes, we get it.  You only wear black and beige.  Your face is amazing but I’m over it. // Sophie Turner – I appreciate the look she going for, I just with it was in a color that didn’t wash out her beautiful skin tone!

I think that about covers it.  Who were your favorites? 

post signature

4 comments:

  1. There so many great dresses. I hard to choose a winner.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/fashion/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little gif pretty much sums up my reaction when Leo won. :) Thank you for making me smile all over again. Did you happen to notice the trend of thigh-high slits in the dress this year? They were everywhere and those wearing them had to really show that they had a high slit in their dress. It reminded me too much of the time Angelina Jolie showed off her thigh-high slit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly thought JLaw was Avril Lavigne there for a second...! I'm totally in love with Cate Blanchett's dress. Tina Fey totally looks like a proper lady for once! I find she and Amy Poehler usually go for the quirky stuff, and Amy stuck to it but Tina looks gorgeous!

    Hopefully this time you won't get an angry email...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for Leo and Margot killed it! #GirlCrush

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment and LOVE talking to you. Make sure you're not the dreaded "no-reply blogger"! If I'm not personally replying to your comments you probably are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover